BIGGEST LOSER!


Having lost about 15 kgs recently many friends and acquaintances alike have begun complimenting and commenting on my shedding the extra kilos. Some even asked me to share my before and after pictures. Well, to that I have only one thing to say, which before and after pictures should I share?

Please bear with me when I ask myself the above question and confuse the hell out of you. It’s not the choice of pictures that has me baffled but rather the selection of pictures of which of the three times I have been fortunate enough to lose weight that perplexes me.

This one?

86 kgs 2003 BEFORE

53 Kgs 2005 AFTER


This one?

80 Kgs 2009 BEFORE




58 Kgs 2011 AFTER


Or then there is this one?

77 Kgs 2016 BEFORE



60 Kgs 2018 AFTER




Aha, you might say, or even congratulate me on losing a grand total of 72 kilos over the span of some 20 years. But let me stop you there. Though many will say and I too am aware that losing weight thrice, is not an easy task and needs a lot of effort, hard work, some bit of obsession and a lot of time and dedication, others might also say and I agree that gaining so much excessive weight and losing control over my body and myself in the first place is nothing to be proud of.

So, while I may justify my weight gain and can blame it all on two pregnancies and hypothyroidism, the truth of the matter is this amount of weight gain is not at all healthy and was something I could have easily avoided, if only I had taken better care of myself. 

The fact of the matter is I let myself go. It was not controlling my eating habits and laziness that got me to a place where none of us should find ourselves in. And each time it happened I felt unhealthy, unfit in both body and mind. The gaining of kilos was a sign of lethargy, inertia and it affected my life. I avoided my duties and responsibilities at home and work and my apathy showed in the way I behaved in a social environment too. 

Now to those who believe body shaming is the worst sin of all and feeling good and healthy at any size needs to be encouraged, I say, yes, absolutely and certainly, health and fitness is not a direct function of your weight nor is your body image.

But hold on just yet, suggesting and believing that carrying around excess body weight is not harmless is not correct either. Forget about looking good, disease, heart trouble, being fit at any size, etc etc. Forget for now, the doctors scaring you, the models and film stars who make you envious, your family and friends who dole out free advice, forget them all. 

Remember only you, your body and your mind. Your body will thank you, your knees and joints, your immune system and your mind will thank you after you are close to your ideal weight once you have shed the extra weight . And if you are a parent, your children will thank you. Not only would you be setting an example for them for a healthy lifestyle but they will also be glad because you would be a happier and healthier parent. 

I have seen the elderly and the not so elderly in my own extended family, all on the heavier side, who struggle to walk and move, complaining about their joints and going in for knee replacement surgeries and what not, wheezing and unable to breathe after a couple of steps, the elderly and many outwardly fit looking youngsters who fall ill regularly because their immune systems have given up largely due to the high doses of medicines and steroids they are asked to take to keep their Blood Pressure and heart under control, the elderly who are not active and lead their lives after 60s in sleep mode and so many others old and young who rue the wrong decisions they made.

Is that not more than enough to spur you on to get into active mode? It was and is for me. Exercising, eating healthy and keeping your body and mind active is the only way to achieve and then maintain a healthy life and there is no contesting that.

Yes, there are many different approaches to get there, many divergent paths, numerous disparate opinions and researches and scientific findings, which will leave you confused and frustrated, and most often than not you are bound to give up and leave it be.  But there are no shortcuts in life, and none whatsoever where your body is concerned.   

All it requires is a bit of dedication, time, will power and stubbornness. You control your body and mind. It should never be the other way around. Don’t let your body overpower you. Once you set your mind to it, it’s half the work done. 

Overweight, thin, fat, underweight or medium, exercise and healthy eating is a way of life, a part of your routine just like brushing your teeth, bathing, working, taking care of the family and home. Yes, it takes time, it takes work but then what doesn’t? And along the way, many a lesson will be learnt, the complete process enriching you, your life and your soul. 

You don’t have time, you will say, your day is packed, you will say, I am ok the way I am, you will say, your kids are too young, you will say, you are not allowed to, you will say, I just can’t do it, you will say, what’s the big deal, you will say, I have always been like this, you will say, I am a foodie, you will say, I am so slim and trim, I don’t need to, you will say; you will and can say a lot to justify and mollify yourself to not step up and take control of yourself. But those who want to, make time, make up their minds, work around their busy schedules, and slowly and steadily work towards achieving their goals, here specifically the goal being a fitter you.

Work out at home, do yoga, run or walk, go to the gym, play your favourite sport, swim, dance, climb the stairs, stay active at home and at the work place, download videos and learn what and how to do it and never ever forget to maintain a healthy diet. You don’t need a gym or a personal trainer, or a nutritionist, all you need is YOU.

Another thing I have learnt is that food can be your best friend or your worst enemy, it’s the balance you maintain that is vital. Food should be for your nourishment and survival only and not to entertain you. No one says it's easy but then nothing is. 

You come out of it healthier, fitter and happy; your body and mind will be grateful because not only will your body show results but also your mind, which will be more active, organised, disciplined, and content. It will prove beneficial in all spheres of your life. A fit body and a happy mind will make a joyful, healthier and better you, at work, at home, in your relationships and most importantly within you as a human. It will empower you and a new confident you will emerge.

As far as I am concerned I would like to be able to stay active till I take my last dying breath, travelling and running and swimming and taking care of myself. If that is not motivation enough …

The point is to keep the focus on positive changes you will see you in your life in just a few days, weeks and months. It's not magic after all. 

Invest in yourself today!

P.S: This article is completely based on my experiences and the knowledge I have gained over the years regarding exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. 

In no way am I an expert in this field but if I can inspire just one person to begin their journey towards a healthy life, my job here is done. 




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this Mam. Something like this was actually needed for me at this time, when I need to shed off my pregnancy weight.
    Stop making excuses to yourself is the key to stay fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are inspired to work hard to keep your body fit. It's been almost 6 months since you read this article. I hope you have managed to be a big loser? :) All the best!

      Delete
  2. Very well written. This is what I call wisdom from experiences that you have had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Coming from you it means a lot!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CONTRIBUTION OF A HOUSEWIFE TO SOCIETY

STARS CAN'T SHINE WITHOUT DARKNESS

The Life and Death of a Family and Nation