The world wants me to shut up!


They say don't say anything if you have nothing to say. That's true most of the time. But there are times when I do want to raise my voice against the rudeness, the brusqueness, the casualness of the world. 

But then I am told to shut up. Its okay they say. Change your perspective. Don't take it so negatively. They didn't mean it. 

The world wants me to duct-tape my mouth shut. 

We are often told to zip it when we want to speak up against rudeness, brusqueness, and the all too casual vibes around us. And when it comes to speaking up against any kind of injustice, well then, you don't have the right to voice your opinions because you could be harmed. 

The consequences of speaking up has always (be it a small issue at the work place, an errant driver, a rude shopkeeper, a friend who wants you to be a yes-man, service providers, or bigger issues such as political opinions) scared me into keeping mum.

 

Ah, the world's love for silence. It's like they want me to have a permanent appointment with a mute button. But let's be real here - staying quiet won't make the bad things disappear faster than a magician's rabbit.

Silence is not always golden. I never did like gold much anyway. Let's face it: confrontation can be as pleasant as stepping on a LEGO brick. But guess what? Avoiding uncomfortable situations won't magically make them disappear.

But here's a secret: dodging uncomfortable situations has only made me suppress my feelings leading to making me an anxious, uptight woman, who comes off as stuck-up, an arrogant b***ch. 

You know what I just gotta learn to channel my inner voice and face the music. Cue the drumroll, please!

When you speak out against disrespect and apathy, it's not just about venting frustration. It's about reminding the world that you deserve better. It's not a mere venting session. It's a bold statement that says, "Hey, world! We deserve better than this nonsense!" So why not grab that metaphorical megaphone and let your voice be heard?

But I don't know. Am I that afraid of being judged, the nasty comments, the harsh commentary that I would rather keep quiet than give it back once in a while?

So, I voice my opinion, and someone replied with a dismissive "chill out, dude." How do I handle that? It is but obvious that I can't and that is why I have trained my slippery tongue to shut up.

 

That, sadly, for me and those around me hasn't worked really well. Although not every situation calls for a verbal showdown, some battles need to be fought.

I've had enough. I'm tired of being scared and holding back when my feelings and rights are trampled upon. The fear of confrontation has kept me imprisoned, allowing others to take advantage of me. But that ends now. I refuse to remain silent any longer.

When I don't get my money's worth, when I face harassment, harm, or invasion of my personal space, I'm finding my voice and asserting myself. I won't be a victim. I won't tolerate mistreatment. I don't want to.

Sure, the thought of confronting others can be daunting, but the price of silence is too high. I've learned that by keeping quiet, I only perpetuate a cycle of disrespect. It's time to break that cycle. I'm embracing my strength and resilience, understanding that my voice has the power to inspire others and create a ripple effect of transformation.

 


So, I am shedding my fear, taking a deep breath, and summoning the courage to speak up. It won't be easy, but the rewards are worth it. I'll regain my self-respect, assert my boundaries, and demand the treatment I deserve. 

Together, as we break this suffocating silence, we can create a culture where respect and dignity prevail, where speaking up becomes the norm. I'm reclaiming my voice and forging a world where fear no longer holds me hostage.

The next time someone tries to dampen your fiery spirit, unleash yourself on them. Crack a joke, toss in a sprinkle of sarcasm, and watch as their dismissive remark crumbles like a cookie in milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONTRIBUTION OF A HOUSEWIFE TO SOCIETY

STARS CAN'T SHINE WITHOUT DARKNESS

The Life and Death of a Family and Nation