FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!

 



Fake it till you make it!

What does that really mean? 


An inducement to portray a false image?


Or encouragement to project confidence?

When prospective clients contact me I tell them from the very start, who I am, what I do, what I can do as an editor & publisher & what I can't & am unwilling to do for them.

I don't like to project myself bigger & better than I am & I don't give them exaggerated promises which I may find tough to keep.

I refuse to fake it even though I have been told I will never make it if I don't.

Even to my friends "I am who I am" - I don't like to pretend, I show what I am all about - you get what you see. 

What does masking my feelings and abilities say about me? Isn't it dishonesty to hide your true self from the world? "Faking it" will result in more harm than good and can land you in a deep pool of slush you can never get out of.  

At work admitting I don’t have the credentials or experience needed to achieve what a client wants from me gets embarrassing, but lying about it is worse.

So, what I do is highlight the quality, customised services, personalised attention & support I can provide. All the things I am good at.

“Contrived confidence is artificial and easy to spot, and I’ve found that authenticity & transparency earn you greater respect, anyway.

Say, ‘I don’t know, but I’ll find out,’ and you’ll build a stronger relationship than if you spin an answer out of buzzwords and wishful thinking.” --Kimberly White

Project confidence, strike a power pose, smile, don't doubt yourself - it's enough to alter how you feel & how others perceive you.

TRUST is essential.

So keep it real!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONTRIBUTION OF A HOUSEWIFE TO SOCIETY

STARS CAN'T SHINE WITHOUT DARKNESS

The Life and Death of a Family and Nation