MAKING THE MOMENTS COUNT

A big fan of one of our greatest ever film stars, Dev Anand, I have indulged myself by binge watching all his movies during the lockdown. So much so that the monotony of housework never got to me because I had him by my side. I would prop up my phone on the counter next to the kitchen sink while washing the utensils and cooking and enjoy his movies.

His films had it all - fun, wit, humour, pain - the classic everlasting songs - the beautiful heroines, graceful and elegant - the subtle love story with delicate emotions - a far cry from what we get to see nowadays.

I love the charisma the man possessed, his style which never loses it's charm at least for me. As I gushed about him and the old classic movies to my family I was able to sweep them up into that world albeit for a few moments.

At first my boys (17 & 10) laughed at the black and white movies their eyes couldn't adjust to, the simple ways of the past, the simple clothes and the simple emotions but soon enough they settled down and watched a few of them with me. I wouldn't say they loved the movies but I was glad they shared a part of what I loved with me.

In that same spirit I introduced them to another gem of the past - Star Trek! Thanks to Netflix Star Trek has entered my life once again bringing with it sweet memories of my childhood.

Now Science Fiction is something they can't have enough of so they agreed to let me introduce them to the Starship Enterprise captained by the dynamic Captain Kirk and his first officer Mr Spock. This time too they laughed their hearts out at the simplicity of the special effects, the characters, their clothes and the creatures of SPACE THE FINAL FRONTIER WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE.

But their silly little mocking giggles died down soon enough. Pulled by the unseen forces and magnetism of the adventures of the crew onboard the Enterprise fighting evil forces in the guise of new forms and species, they were soon hooked on to it, watching at least one episode a day - not more, so that they could watch it over months, wanting it to never end.

I was pleased no end - something at last from my time ( before my time actually) I love and could watch with my boys. Way beyond it's own time, it influenced many who watched it. And I could see they were drawn to it too notwithstanding the plainness of it, something they are not used to especially when they grew up watching THE AVENGERS, HARRY POTTER, XMEN and many other superhero and science fiction series and films.

My children can't get enough of it and so can't I. I feel elated that we are able to connect and bond even if it's over a TV series I grew up watching. And even if my husband and I have other pressing tasks or issues at hand we take an hour out to get together with the children to watch the series.

Reconnecting with special memories of my childhood has led to creating special moments and experiences with my children. When we sit together enjoying the exploits of the crew of STAR TREK we are connecting as we talk about the stories, the science behind the series, and the influence it had on the generations that followed.

                              Star Trek: The Original Series (TV Series 1966–1986) - IMDb

All I hope is that these simple heart-melting moments of bonding will keep our connection strong. For this is what makes all of it worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONTRIBUTION OF A HOUSEWIFE TO SOCIETY

STARS CAN'T SHINE WITHOUT DARKNESS

The Life and Death of a Family and Nation