THE POLITICS OF HATE


DARK AGES!
WE HAVE ENTERED THE DARK AGES!

No, that’s not what I believe, I got that from the social media. While the majority of India exulted in NDA’s victory in the Lok Sabha elections, a TSUNAMO, most called it, there is a percentage of Indians who were plunged into mourning at the tragedy that had befallen them.

Now, normally, I refrain from commenting or posting anything related to politics. How can I participate in debates and discussions about the said subject when I don’t know much about politics, politicians, governments, their policies except for what I read in the newspapers and hear on media? I have never even met a politician and don’t follow any one of them on social media or otherwise. More and more, as I advance in age and hopefully wisdom, I realise I know nothing and understand even less.

 However, my newly acquired wisdom has made me privy to one very obvious fact. I – we are surrounded by hate, resentment, hostility, ill-will – whatever name you wish to give it. The biggest, grandest spectacle of democracy, elections, are meant to unite and empower us and lead us forward into a world of equality and hope and out of a world filled with conflict, prejudice, and despair. But hatred mars this political national marvel and unfortunately turns it into an extravaganza a lot many don’t want to be a part of.

‘The Hindu nationalist party ran a hate-filled campaign and now seems poised to return to power with a terrifying mandate’

‘Why Indian leader Modi’s big win is an ‘absolute tragedy’ for minorities’

‘Modi the 'Hindu Messiah' Manipulated Hope and Hate to Win India's Election’

‘Bad For India’s Soul'

‘Divider in chief, racist, right-wing authoritarian, a dictator, an uneducated chaiwalla’

While the international media dubbed the PM many names and abused him in their opinion pieces, at home too he has not escaped harsh criticism and wrath from many sections of society. This constitutes hatred from the common man who not only loves to spew rhetoric completely based on what the media feeds him but forgets that he has no inside information or evidence, to base his opinions on.

Doesn’t hating and being intolerant of a man or a government you feel is bad for India and then openly denouncing them in public lead to more hatred. You hate the hater – you become the hater. 

Hate is a feeling of intense dislike or aversion and the alarming thing is it is accepted as normal today. Online hatred is now a big part of the game and the one thing that spurred me to write this piece.

Do you hate because you want to make the world a better place? Do you express your convictions and criticisms because you feel you can make a difference? Or do you do it because you want to silence dissent and opposing thoughts, because you know better and because your ideology is superior, or even because you are blinded by your own beliefs? By taking sides aren’t you playing divisive games and fuelling hatred too?

Hatred promotes many actions that are not carefully planned. They are highly spontaneous, resulting in a lack of analysis of the consequences. Going on to hate only tells more about you than about the person you hate. And remember hate and intolerance are a personal choice. Hating is playing a blame-game, because somewhere maybe you don’t understand what is going on.

“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” — Epictetus

While I desist from sharing opinions on our polity and its participants there are others who don’t hold themselves back. It’s not for lack of views or judgement that I do so but because well, what do I actually know about any of it. It is also because there is no point to it. Am I going to make a difference either way? But I know one thing, hating will certainly affect me and my well-being.

                                           
                    
I don’t know if the BJP and its leaders are liked by you or hated by you, but if you are one of those who choose to offer commentary, opinions, point of views, or dissent readily on social media, you are giving in to the powerful emotion of hate.

“I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.”
 — Booker T. Washington

Does it then augur well for me or for that matter the people of this country to form opinions and share them so freely without considering the repercussions of doing so? I don’t know, because that is something you need to think about and decide for yourself. But what I am sure of is that nothing good can ever come of hate. 
                                    



   

Comments

  1. Agree 100%
    Hate is a very strong word. Often I find myself correcting my children for loosely using it, " I hate my xyz class, I hate this t shirt....". What can be so wrong that you ' hate' it? And in case there is, we need to learn to get over it, change it, rethink about it because ultimately it is affecting us only. Unfortunately hate mongers are aplenty on both sides of the massive NDA mandate. Let's hope for winds of change.
    Loved reading your piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thank you for commenting Bani! Let's all hope for a better tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Well said Nirja. We are now in a state of change freeing ourselves from the clutches of the British trained (brainwashed?) intellectual elite who were allowed to smother our heritage and who pandered to a make believe legacy distorted by Western minds with evil intent. An intent to keep us as a work force for their industries. That is why we see so many Indians heading Corporations abroad. They are merely well paid workers while Their Masters enjoy the fruits of their labour. It's a workforce and has no bearing on our heritage of a life well lived, not for oneself but others. Hatred, according to me is of two kinds. Political and religious. Political hatred comes from people who have led themselves to believe that it is their Devine right to rule over the ignorant masses who toil day and night to make them rich. Religious hatred comes from the the thought that my religion is the only true one and all who do not share my belief system have no right to exist. Whereas, our wise ones have taught that all religions are but a different path to the same goal and none is superior to the other, you choose what suits you best. (Though do we really choose or do we follow what has been ingrained into us from childhood by our parents, by accident of birth). As far as political hatred is concerned, we need to throw it away and render constructive help to the duly elected Government and actively participate in making India a better place to live in. Bharat has always taught acceptance of all and not merely tolerance of all. Acceptance is love, tolerance is suppressed hatred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well put! Let's hope for the best and contribute to a better society.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CONTRIBUTION OF A HOUSEWIFE TO SOCIETY

STARS CAN'T SHINE WITHOUT DARKNESS

The Life and Death of a Family and Nation